為地球降溫的飲食指南 The Diet Guide of Cooling off the Earth
【Introduction: Reclaim the Food Sovereignty and Combat the Climate Change】
“Climate change” and “food sovereignty” seem distant from our daily lives, but actually, every bite of our food is closely related to them.
The food self-sufficiency rate in Taiwan is only about 33%. When food become “commodities”, its price is inevitably influenced by transnational corporations, and even become a bargaining chip in international trade negotiations. Therefore, when climate disasters take place and the price of gasoline fluctuates, we have no choice of food and its price decided by others.
To adapt to climate change, we should promote diverse local crops which can endure extreme climate, raise our food self-sufficiency rate, and take back our right to choose food.
In this booklet, we are going to share with you some tips to face climate change in our daily live:
1. Think about the source of the food and buy local.
2. Prepare your meal by yourself. Learn about the environmental cost from industrial food production.
3. Manage to have efficient energy use in kitchen.
4. Plan before consuming and tidy up your refrigerator to reduce food waste.
5. Grow vegetables on your balcony to strengthen the climate resilience.
6. Support “farmland for farming” and eco-farming to ensure the sustainability of production.
7. Create your own “Green Food Community.” Together we face climate risks and food safety issues.
Climate change might become the norm in the future. By accumulating tiny efforts, we can become the biggest force to change. Join us! Adjust your daily diet and the habit of energy use. Together we can flight climate change.